Thursday, June 24, 2010

Certified Flight Instructor

I'm getting started (finally) on training for a "Certified Flight Instructor" rating. I passed both written tests last year, and with the Commercial license under my belt, the way is clear to get the CFI-airplane rating.

I have been flying, while under visual (VFR) conditions, from the right seat, which is a bit weird. When flying under instrument rules (IFR), I still fly from the left seat, because I don't want to be fumbling around with the wrong hand under such stringent conditions. I suppose I could get used to it.

The other thing that is new is having to create a lesson plan, and to talk through what I am doing as I do it. The second bit isn't too bad, as I developed the habit of telling what I was doing in preparation for the commercial test - so that the examiner would know that I knew what I was doing.

So to practice the development of lesson plans, I am going to teach my daughter the basics of flying - to practice giving a lesson, and also to have a second person in the plane who could take over in an emergency, or help on a cross country. My wife may also learn how to find an airport and land, but she doesn't seem all that interested.

CFI by Christmas - that's my watchword for this year.......

No comments: