Sunday, June 19, 2011

Be careful what you ask for

My CFI-Airplane check-ride is next Friday.  On Tuesday, I have an appointment with the FAA to get an Advanced Ground Instructor license, then it's full throttle to get ready for the check-ride.  And then, I'm done.  For a long, long time.  The only remaining license I'm interested in getting is multi-engine Commercial, and that can wait.

On the plus side, I did my first instructional flight yesterday, flying with a friend who has his private pilot license, and now wants a challenge after 150 hrs.  So we are starting on training for an instrument rating in his Sundowner, also based at McKinney.  I shall call him Student Dan, or "SD" for short.

SD already has a decent scan, but he's rusty on basic aircraft control, and needs to make less jerky movements of the controls, and slow things down.  He's impatient, and instrument flying doesn't work well with 30 degree banks and huge heading changes.  it's a game of making small, incremental changes, and then waiting to see what happens, then make more small changes.  I suggested that he spend some time using MS Flight Simulator and learn some procedures there, rather than in the air.  He'll also learn patience.

No comments: